Preschoolers adore learning about farm animals. So as a preschool teacher, I’m always looking for new ways to bring the farm theme to life for them. Just one of the many ways I make that happen is by offering my preschoolers multiple farm math activities, like these farm animal pattern cards.
Printable Farm Animal Patterns for Preschoolers
Farm animal pattern cards are a quick and easy way to reinforce patterning concepts while learning about a favorite preschool theme. Farm themes are always popular among preschoolers and teachers, alike, especially in the fall when local farmers are beginning to harvest.
We also have fall patterning cards, too!
These farm animal pattern cards only take a few minutes to prepare. They create hours and hours of learning fun for any young learner who is fascinated by farm animals.
Get Activities for Your Farm Preschool Lesson Plans
Farm Preschool Centers$10.00
Or try these free printable farm theme preschool lesson plans.
FAQ About Teaching Patterning to Preschoolers
Patterns are things that repeat themselves. They are repetitive, and happen again and again. For example, stripes on a shirt or the sun rising after a nighttime of sleep are both patterns.
I like to start with a listening game. Introduce preschoolers to the concept of patterning by making an AB pattern of clapping and stomping. Don’t tell your preschooler what you are doing, but invite them to join in once they figure it out. Then, explain that a pattern in something that repeats itself over and over again.
Clap, stomp, clap, stomp, clap, etc…
Here is a simple progression of how to teach patterning skills, and what pattern types a preschooler should know before kindergarten.
These pattern types are included in my Preschool Portfolio and SkillsAssessments.
How Preschoolers Learn Patterning
Most preschoolers begin learning about patterns by first learning color patterns. They seem to be the easiest. Usually, they then move onto shape patterns, followed by patterns like the above, animals or trucks.
In my Daily Lessons in Mathematics Positions and Patterning Unit, preschoolers learn how to pattern using colors, shapes, toys, and even yoga patterns and sound patterns.
No matter what the subject of the pattern is, most preschoolers first learn to recognize AB patterns, such as those pictured. This means that the pattern has two parts that repeat.
Red, blue, red, blue.
Car, truck, car, truck.
Farm Math activities for Preschoolers Using Pattern Cards
While these are designed to be pattern cards for your farm theme, there are many farm animal math activities you can create out of this single printable.
- heavy card stock paper
- farm animal stickers
- laminator and laminating pouches (optional but recommended)
How To Make Farm Animal Pattern Cards
Just print the free pattern cards on heavy cardstock and laminate for added durability. Cut out. Place the pattern strips in a pile, separated by pattern type, and place the answer cards in a small bowl.
Now, invite your preschooler to join you in some farm theme activities!
How to Teach Farm Animal Patterns
Invite your preschooler to select a pattern card. An AB pattern will be easiest. Now, following these steps.
- Read the pattern by naming the animals.
- Point to each animal as its name is said.
- Use a sing-songy voice to delineate the animal names.
- Find the corresponding animal in the answer bowl and place it over the question mark.
There are several reasons to follow the steps above when teaching patterns to preschoolers.
- Reading the pattern helps preschoolers see the pattern and is also a literacy activity. It reinforces left to right progression.
- Pointing helps preschoolers develop one-to-one correspondence skills needed in counting.
- A sing-songy voice helps preschoolers hear the pattern again in the pitch of the voice.
- Finding the corresponding animal out of a bowl will help preschoolers develop fine motor skills.
Related Reading and Free Printables
More Ways to Use Pattern Cards in Your Farm Unit
There are multiple ways in which to use these pattern cards. The most obvious is to place the answer card at the end of each pattern strip. That’s the traditional way.
Here are some ways to switch things up.
- Another way to use these pattern cards is to have the preschooler use something like these farm animal figurines make the final match.
- If you have multiples of the same farm animal toys, the preschooler could match the figurine with the photographic sticker.
- Invite your preschooler to use the answer cards to create their own pattern. If using the entire sticker set, and especially if you use two sets, there will be plenty of answer stickers to make new patterns.
With just one set of pattern cards, your preschooler can essentially explore many different farm theme math activities! These printable and activities are appropriate for both preschool and kindergarten students.
Get your FREE Farm Pattern Cards
Think your preschoolers would love these? They make an excellent addition to any farm animal theme preschool math center! Or use them year round as a quick math game.
Other Farm Activities
I’m Sarah, an educator turned stay-at-home-mama of five! I’m the owner and creator of Stay At Home Educator, a website about intentional teaching and purposeful learning in the early childhood years. I’ve taught a range of levels, from preschool to college and a little bit of everything in between. Right now my focus is teaching my children and running a preschool from my home. Credentials include: Bachelors in Art, Masters in Curriculum and Instruction.