Farm animal pattern cards are a quick and easy way to reinforce patterning concepts while learning about a favorite preschool theme. Farm themes are always popular among preschoolers, and teachers alike, especially in the fall when local farmers are beginning to harvest. These farm animal pattern cards only take a few minutes to prepare, however they create hours and hours of learning fun for any young learner who is fascinated by farms.
Most preschoolers begin learning about patterns by first learning color patterns. Usually they then move onto shape patterns, following by patterns like the above, animals or cars. What is common among preschool, no matter what the subject of the pattern is, most preschoolers first learn to recognize AB patterns, such as those pictured. Because I made this set of pattern cards for my 3-4’s preschool class, I focused primarily on AB patterns, with a few cards of ABC patterns.
- heavy card stock paper
- Carson Dellosa Farm Animals: Photographic Shape Stickers
- Scotch Thermal Laminator and Scotch Thermal Laminating Pouches 100-Pack (optional but recommended)
To Make Farm Animal Pattern Cards
- Cut the card stock down to strips of 8 1/2 inches long by 3 inches high.
- Use the Farm Animals Stickers to make patterns.
- Cut a few strips of card stock down to 8 1/2 inches by 2 inches high. These will serve as the answer cards.
- For each pattern card made, save whatever animal sticker that would be next in line and stick it on the answer strip.
- Cut the answer strip apart, into squares of 2 inches by 2 inches.
How To Use Farm Animal Pattern Cards
There are multiple ways in which to sue these pattern cards. The most obvious is to place the answer card at the end of each pattern strip.
Another way to use these pattern cards is to have the preschooler use Safari Ltd Down On The Farm TOOB animal figurines or toys to make the final match.
If you have multiples of the same farm animal toys, the preschooler could match the figurine with the photographic sticker.
Another way to use the cards is to invite your preschooler to use the answer cards to create their won pattern. If using the entire sticker set, and especially if you use two sets, there will be plenty of answer stickers to make new patterns.
Other Farm Themed Activities
This is only one activity we explored during our farm theme. Here are a few others to consider.