Awaken the Halloween spirit in your preschoolers! Our spooky-themed activities are perfect for discovering the fun of eerie creatures while helping preschoolers enhance their math and literacy skills.
From haunted landscapes to mysterious owls, there’s something creepy around every corner. Your little ones will have a blast while learning about this spooky season and its ghoulish friends!
This set of 12 printable activities offer a range of creative ways for preschoolers to discover and learn about Halloween. Not only are these activities engaging, but each one focuses on an important early literacy skill and math skills that will keep kids learning as they explore this eerie realm.
THESE Halloween Themed Preschool Centers WILL HELP PRESCHOOLERS DEVELOP the following skills:
- phonological awareness
- phonemic awareness
- letter formation
AS WELL AS THE FOLLOWING MATH SKILLS:
- number sense
- data analysis and probability
Prepare for some spooky fun with this fantastic collection of Halloween-themed preschool activities!
Packed with a diverse range of imaginative printables showcasing the season of spooky houses and ravens and owls, you’ll discover numerous ways to captivate and educate your young ones.
With a wide array of early learning concepts covered, these Halloween-themed preschool activities will cater to a variety of skill levels within your classroom.
HERE’S WHAT’S INCLUDED:
This pack includes 97 pages of printable Halloween theme literacy and math activities to use for whole group teaching or to add to your preschool centers. Activities are as follows:
Halloween Literacy Activities
- Raven’s Alphabet Matching (Alphabet Knowledge) – Match the lower case letter on each jack-o-lantern card raven card with the corresponding upper case letter.
- Halloween Items Word Tracing (Letter Formation) – Cut apart the tracing cards and place in a dry erase pouch. Use a dry erase marker to trace over each word.
- Owl Rhyming Mats (Phonological Awareness) – Cut apart the night time star cards and add them to the owl mat with the corresponding rhyme.
- Full Moon Syllable Counting (Phonological Awareness) – Cut apart the syllable full moon mats and the Halloween syllable cards. Place the Halloween syllable cards in a pile and sort onto the owl mats according to the number of syllables in each word.
- Collecting Pumpkins Beginning Sounds Matching (Phonemic Awareness) – Cut apart the pumpkin cards and place in a pile. Place the letter cards in a separate pile. Draw a letter card and place it on the mat. Add the corresponding beginning sound pumpkin cards. (To simplify, place a select group of letters and matching beginning sounds and have your student work with only a few letters and sounds at once, rather than the entire alphabet).
- Halloween Theme Word Building (Phonemic Awareness) – Cut apart the word building cards. Use letter cards to spell out the word on each card. Alternatively, magnetic letter manipulatives can be used. Find matching letter manipulatives here: Magnetic Letter Manipulatives
Halloween Math Activities
- Spooky Houses Counting Cards (Number Sense) – Count the number of bats surrounding the spooky house on each card. Trace the numeral on the bottom of the card. Finally, use counters to count out the corresponding number on the ten frame.
- Halloween Treats Pattern Block Number Cards (Geometry) – Identify the numeral on each card. Count the number of treats. Then use pattern blocks to build the number.
- Halloween Theme What Comes Next? Patterning (Algebra) – Use color matching manipulatives (or the picture cards included) to create and continue Halloween patterns on the mat.
- Halloween Measuring Cards (Measurement) – Use a non-standard unit to measure the length or width of each Halloween picture. Non-standard units can be snap cubes, pom poms, pink erasers, buttons, transparent counters, etc.
- Spooky Treats Race to the Top (Data Analysis) – Cut out the dice and assemble with clear tape. Roll the dice and place a counter in the corresponding space on the graph. The first column completed wins the race.
- Forgotten Fireplace Subitizing Mats (Algebra & Number Sense) – Cut apart the subitizing cards and mix up. Stack in a pile, face down. Set out the fireplace mats in a row in order from 1-3. Draw a subitizing card, and as quickly as possible (and hopefully without counting), place the card on the corresponding mat. (This activity can have varying difficulty simply by removing some sets of subitizing cards and their corresponding mats).
HOW TO USE THESE Halloween Printable Preschool Centers
These preschool activities are not limited to only centers. They can also be used in the following settings:
- printable preschool centers
- small group activities
- table top activities
- sensory table activities
- quick circle time activities
- whole class skills practice
- informal assessments
HOW TO ADD THESE TO WHAT YOU’RE ALREADY TEACHING
Of course, these thematic activities pair wonderfully with my Daily Lessons in Preschool Literacy and Math Curriculum because they target the same skills. With the thoughtful design of the daily lesson plans included in my curriculum, you will know exactly which arctic centers to pull out during the theme. Together, they make the perfect team for a well-rounded, engaging theme based curriculum.