Beginning Sounds Picture Seek is the best way to practice beginning sounds while feeling like you’re just playing a game. This activity can be played in pairs or as individual work, but are a great addition to preschool literacy centers.
Children work on phonics skills by identifying the letter in the lower corner of the mat and name its sound, then search for pictures that begin with the same beginning sound and use a large button or other manipulative to cover the picture. Play continues until all the pictures with the same beginning sound have been covered.
How to Play
- Set the mats out on a table with a set of large buttons or other manipulative.
- Invite your preschooler to join you to play a fun beginning sounds activity.
- Invite your preschooler to identify the letter name on the mat and ask for its sound.
- Begin with the first picture on the top row and ask your preschooler to name the picture. Ask if the name begins with the same sound as the letter on the mat.
- If the picture begins with the same sound, then the preschooler covers the picture with a button. If it doesn’t, the picture is left blank.
- Play continues until the preschooler has looked through all the pictures and found all the matching beginning sounds.
***Play can be simplified once the preschooler can play independently.***
These phonics activity mats can be done in small groups, in pairs, or individually. They are especially great for phonics centers in preschool or kindergarten.
I’m Sarah, an educator turned stay-at-home-mama of five! I’m the owner and creator of Stay At Home Educator, a website about intentional teaching and purposeful learning in the early childhood years. I’ve taught a range of levels, from preschool to college and a little bit of everything in between. Right now my focus is teaching my children and running a preschool from my home. Credentials include: Bachelors in Art, Masters in Curriculum and Instruction.